Thanks to everyone who helped make our recent events so successful. CANDIDATES DEBATE:
On Friday, May 1, we hosted a Candidates Debate where Calgary-Currie candidates all prepared a curry dish and answered your questions. We had over 130 people attend for this fun and delicious evening. The curry winner was Christine Cusanelli - now we need to wait to see who will win the vote! Thanks to Jolly Good for supplying the rice for the evening, and Make My Day Flowers for the arrangements - we love to support local businesses. And thanks to all our volunteers (including Past-President and Chief Rink Rat Rob Smith, and local artist Melissa Centofanti) for all your hard work in bringing events like this to life.
COMMUNITY GARDEN WORKING BEE:
On Sunday May 3, we gathered for the first Community Garden working bee of the 2015 growing season. We picked up trash, weeded and tended the compost - and some eager gardeners were even ready to plant early vegetables like potatoes and kale. Welcome to all our new and returning gardeners - the new cedar beds we put up last year (with funding from ATB Agriculture) are looking great and we are hoping to make even more improvements this year, including a new hand-painted sign from lcoal graphic designer Shannon Thomas to replace the one that recently broke. Here's to a bumper harvest!
We hope that many of you now have more room in your basements and garages! We certainly took a fully loaded truck to the landfill this year. Thanks to all those who volunteered including Lola - who is an invaluable KGCA resource, Keren Houlgate and our own President Mike Cundall. Thanks also to everyone who brought along bottles and cans to help raise funds for the new Playground on 29th St. Remember to give your opinion on the proposed Playground designs before the end of this month.
Here's some things coming up on the Agenda for Summer:
- Design a Park, May 16, 1pm: The Killarney-Glengarry Community Association is inviting all residents to a "Design a Park" event at 33 St & 26 Avenue to talk about designing a gathering space at the east end of the strip mall on 26 Avenue. The land is owned by the owners of the strip mall building and have given us permission to use the land for a small pocket park. Eventually there will be Canada Post boxes which would enhance the space as a gathering place for Killarney. Carole Lulham, MSc, landscape & green roof designer and agronomist will be in attendance to assist in the Design Charrette. The process has not been used in Calgary before to our knowledge. So it will be fun finding our way and learning as we go. Find out more here.
- Urban Cycling Skills Class, June 7, 9am: RKHCA and KGCA are proud to present this course for kids aged 8-14. Only $10 to register with proceeds going to Bike Calgary. Find out more and register online here.
- KGCA Annual General Meeting, June 10, 7pm: All welcome! Come along to the Hall at 2828 28th St SW,on Wednesday June 10 from 7-9pm, to find out what the current Board has been up to in the last year, and see how you can get involved and have a stronger voice in your community. If you would like to enquire about joining the 2015/2016 board or one of our volunteer committees, please email our President for more information.
- Community Garage Sale, Jun 14, 9am: Mark your calendars & book your table now! Come be part of our 3rd annual Garage Sale & get rid of a bunch of stuff! Sale runs from 9am-5pm & it’s just $20 per table to participate! Killarney-Glengarry residency is preferred as it’s a “Community” Garage Sale. Memberships will be available on-site ($25/family/year) or you can purchase them online here. Call Lola at 403-474-3845 if you have any questions or to book your table.
- Summerfest, July 25, 11am: A fun event in the park by the KGCA on 28th St. more details to come - check back here.