• Provincial Society Registered Name: Killarney-Glengarry Community Association
• Established: 1945
• Registered: September 21, 1950
• Federal Charity Status-Registered: no
• Schools: Killarney Elementary School – Public and Holy Name Elementary School (Bilingual) – Separate
Killarney-Glengarry is a 1.8sq/km inner-city Calgary community that runs from 17th Ave in the north to Richmond Rd in the south, and from 37th St in the west to 25a St in the east. It was named after Killarney (in Ireland) and Glengarry (in Scotland) to help give Calgary’s new settlers a sense of home.
The first plan for the suburb was registered in 1906 and the land was formally annexed in 1910 with single–storey clapboard housing being built.
The majority of building in Killarney-Glengarry took place after WWII when soldiers returned from the war. Property lots were sold to these soldiers for just $25 to help them settle down, rebuild their lives and raise their families.
Construction back then consisted mainly of stucco and clapboard bungalows on the 25ft or 50ft lots, but since 2002, many of these structures have been replaced with infill housing. Killarney-Glengarry is now known for its urban forest of mature trees and close links to downtown – aided by the new West LRT line. It is an area that is growing and changing as it attracts developers marketing homes to young families who want to be close to town but with the amenities of a suburb.
The community stats below are as of 2016:
- Population: 7,463
- Dwellings: 3,839
- 5-year Pop. Comparison: 6,816 -> 6,870 -> 7,231 -> 7,677 -> 7,463
- 5-year Dwelling Comparison: 3,679 -> 3,730 -> 3,772 -> 3,798 -> 3,839
- Age Distribution: 589 (0-4), 597 (5-14), 243 (15-19), 489 (20-24), 1907 (25-34), 1472 (35-44), 860 (45-54), 724 (55-64), 317 (65-74), 265 (75+)